My latest Rails project, Aaltonenshoe.com is now running on a lighttpd/fastcgi setting. Moving the setup over from an Apache/CGI one was a matter of minutes with the help of Jason’s Having one’s own lighttpd and running it, too
After I got the port from Jason, I made a few small changes to the llighttpd config file I was using on my local dev server, went to Webmin (Apache => Aliases and Redirects) and pointed aaltonenshoe.com to aaltonenshoe.com:8504. Saving those settings resulted in an error in webmin but that was fixed by Jason very fast.
My conclusion: The site now runs very, very fast without any caching.